Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Yes I Waved

Yesterday, I was in Washington DC attending to personal issues. The Sjodgren Syndrome is trying its best to take me down. But as we say in Liberian English, 'that one part it will not work; we will be on it for long; we will frustrate each other thirty-thirty; we will see who's the real man!' My friend, do not let these strange-named agents of Lucifer steal your peace and joy. Hold tight. God's got your back. And your front. And from your head to your toe. Jesus has got you fully covered. God's got you, and God the Father Son Holy Spirit has the last say. Amen.
Anyway, you know you are African when you are the only one waving to the president's moving convey! While driving out of the city, suddenly, sirens sounded as police on motorcycles signaled cars to pull over and stop. I stopped my car knowing what was coming next. Cold and wet as it was, Immediately, I wound down the driver seat window. As soon as that first black van passed slowly, I knew The Beast was coming by. I love that car, The Beast. It just makes my heart swell with pride to know just who is its passenger!!! How God can elevate so well. God Almighty the lifter of one's head. Your should have seen me waving my hands off when The Beast, bearing in it the President of the United States, drove inches near past my car. I saw him with my own two eyes! (But wait now Hortense whose eyes would you've used to see him with if not your own two?). Anyway, it was so close I got a good glimpse of my President Barack Obama. I was thrilled beyond explanation. When the brief moment passed I shouted in the car, "Yeah, yeah I saw President Obama!" My excitement felt like back at Fatima Elementary school drilling in flag day parades.
Now I do not ever get excited about celebrities anything. I am Liberian. In Africa we do not be jumping up and down, screaming and crying for nothing, following people; harassing them with camera every where they go, and all that craziness. In Africa, no matter how poor and destitute you are, you feel like you, too, are just as important. That's just the way it was on that side of the world when I grew up there. Poor but proud sums up the African mentality.
I do know how to be thrilled when I see the manifestation of a loving, kind, generous, miracle-working Almighty God. I believe it sums up the story of the passenger in The Beast. Son of, an African student from Kenya who married an American woman and the couple had a boy child. That boy child, for the most part, lived an exemplary life. Did his homework, well done. Early in his professional career, the young man he'd become had a compassion for others; passionate about helping those who were not as fortunate as his life had been. He desired to serve others. That boy with the African father, today, commands the highest office in the most powerful country in the world. In a nation of giants that boy, now a fully grown man, leads political, economic, intellectual giants; giants, period. And that son-of-an-African, boy turned young adult turned adult man, is my president. I am proud of the job he does daily. Being out there yesterday on E Street, N.W., as his motorcade drove by reminded me that WHAT GOD GOT FOR YOU WILL SEE YOUR FACE. No matter who says what or how many people don't think you deserve or should have it. God is just. God's favor is His to give! If The Lord has written your name down with it, it is for you.
Yes, I waved at the convoy with all my childlike enthusiasm. It felt gleeful. I waved for me. A woman who, too, had an African father (and have an African mother). I waved for senior Mr. Barack Obama, the African parent. I waved for you, young, hopeful African child, African student. I waved for you, African immigrant. I waved for all of those who would like to be counted. It was good for me to see the passenger being carried in The Beast. The armor is protective. Aah, but really, The Beast is kept fully armored by The Giver of all good things. The Giver of every good and perfect gift. I waved because my God is awesome. Absolutely fantastic awesome is my Lord.


                             *Writing includes local Liberian vernacular (everyday Liberian English)

Blessings and peace,
Servant Hortense Grimes
Be encouraged, motivated, and encouraged. Visit www.doitforchrist.org

No comments:

Post a Comment